Ruinous castle on a sea stack with surrounding wall. Central keep on outcrop of rock. Can be visited at any reasonable time.

Dun Ara was a stronghold of the MacKinnons who held the land here from 1354 onwards. The castle was still in use until the C17th when it was abandoned.

The castle was probably built on the site of a previous Dun or fort. The castle had a surrounding wall protecting a central keep or building on the main outcrop of rock. The location was valuable as it protected a harbour of boat landing as well. 

Mackinnon
Tobermory
blog comments powered by Disqus
Sholto Ramsay Saturday, 02 June 2012 38 Print