Restored by Wigtown District Council and open to the public since 1990, the castle was built in 1510 by Ninian Adair of Kilhurst, one of the most powerful Lairds of Wigtownshire.
It passed to the Kennedys in 1591, was a Dalrymple of Stair property from 1680 and eventually passed to public ownership in 1815 when it was purchased by the Burgh of Stranraer. Standing four storeys tall, it was also used as the town gaol between 1815 and 1907. The Castle of St. John was restored in 1988/89 and reopened as a Visitor Centre in 1990
- The Castle will be closed in 2008 for building work**
Castle of St John
Charlotte Street Stranraer Dumfries & Galloway DG9 7EJ Scotland