Dating back to 1798, Tobermory distillery is the only one on the island and one of the oldest commercial distilleries in Scotland
Address: TOBERMORY, Isle of Mull PA75 6NR
Telephone :01688 302645
Fax :01688 302643
Owning Company :Burn Stewart Distillers plc
Production Status :Operational
Source :Private loch
Age when bottled :No age given
No. of Wash Stills :2
No. of Spirit Stills :2
Cask Woods :American & Spanish oak hogsheads & butts
Visitors per annum :8000
Nose :A light but definite sweetness with soft, gentle overtones.
Taste :Good, light to medium flavour, softly aromatic, sweet overtones which give good balance.
Comments :A most welcome island malt, made from unpeated barley. Also available as Ledaig, 1974 at 43%, made from peated barley.
Description :Located in the pleasant town of Tobermory, with its painted houses, on the scenic island of Mull, the distillery was established by John Sinclair, a local merchant, in 1798. It was acquired by John Hopkins and Son, who owned it until 1916, but closed between 1930 and 1972, and from 1989 to 1993 when it was purchased by Burn Stewart Distillers and reopened. It has four stills, uses unpeated, malted barley, and water from a private loch near Mishnish. The distillery produces the Tobermory Single Malt Scotch Whisky, which is a fresh smooth and medium dry malt. The distillery offers tours and there is a visitor centre and shop.
Directions :Off A848, Tobermory, Mull.
Opening Hours :Open Easter-Oct, Mon-Fri 10.00-17.00. Other times by appt.
Open Easter-Oct, Mon-Fri 10.00-17.00. Other times by appt.
Travel Directions to Tobermory Whisky Distillery
Off A848, Tobermory, Mull.