Visitor's guide to Auchtermuchty in Fife with all the information on the surrounding areas, including tips on what to see and do. Auchtermuchty is situated beside Pitlour Hill nine miles north of Glenrothes. Until 1975 it was a royal burgh, established under charter of King James V in 1517.
A burgh town in NE Fife at the junction of the A91 and A983 roads, 7 miles (11.2 km) west of Cupar; pop. (1991) 1990. Originally named Uachdarmuc, meaning the 'high ground of the wild boar', its adjacent woods and swamps were the scene of royal boar hunts in ancient times.
The town was granted a royal charter in 1517 and in the 18th and 19th centuries it was a flourishing centre of weaving, bleaching, distilling, and sawmilling. Today its industries produce knitwear, furniture, postcards, structural steelwork, electrochemical sensors, electronic weighing equipment, crafts, and food products.
Local Sights & Activities for AuchtermuchtySightseeing
A luxurious and exclusive use 9 bedroom property coupled with an Award-winning chef is an ideal setting for a party or holiday with a difference. more details about Myres Castle
Amidst a townscape of red pantiles, crow-stepped gables, and the occasional thatched roof (originally using the rushes of Lindores Loch), fine buildings include Macduff House (1597), the Town House (1728), the Parish Church (1779-81), and the Boar's Head (a 19th-century coaching inn now called the Forest Hills Hotel).
The old-world streets of Auchtermuchty feature in the TV series 'Dr Finlay's Casebook' and amongst the town's most famous sons are the accordionist and band leader Jimmy Shand and the internationally popular singing duo known as The Proclaimers.