Isle of Rassay in Inner Hebrides will guide by providing you with information about the place. Also, included are details and information about attarctions, things to see and do, sleeping & eating, transportation and hotels and accommodation in Isle of Raasay. The map on Isle of Raasay will help you to reach the place with ease.

The lush and beautiful island of Raasay lies only a few miles off the east coast of Skye yet remains well and truly off the tourist trail. Its hilly terrain and superb cliff scenery offer numerous walking opportunities and the views from the highest point, Dun Caan (1,456 ft), with the Cuillins on one side and Torridon on the other, are, quite simply, beyond compare. The walk to the distinctive flat-topped summit of this extinct volcano, via an old iron mine, is relatively straightforward and one of the most rewarding anywhere in the islands. So much so, in fact, that Boswell was inspired to dance a Highland jig on reaching the top, in 1773, during his grand tour with Dr Johnson. Another excellent walk starts from North Fearns, at the end of a road running east from Inverarish, to the deserted township of Hallaig, down the side of Beinn na Leac and back to North Fearns. The circular route is five miles long.

Raasay was for much of its history the property of the Macleods of Lewis, whose chief residence was the ruined Brochel Castle, before moving to Clachan, where Raasay House is now located (see below). The original Raasay House was torched by government troops after Culloden, along with all the island's houses and its boats, as punishment for the Macleods giving refuge to Bonnie Prince Charlie. After the Macleods sold the island in 1843, the Clearances began in earnest and Raasay suffered a long period of emigration, depopulation and poverty. It is not surprising, then, that the island's most famous son, the great poet Sorley Maclean, writes so passionately about this lost society. Born in Oskaig in 1911, he writes in his native Gaelic as well as in English, and is highly regarded internationally. Raasay's population now numbers around 150 and the island is a bastion of the Free Church, whose strict Sabbatarian beliefs should be respected by visitors.

Those who make it to the north of the island may wish to note that the two miles of road linking Brochel to Arnish were the work of one man, Calum Macleod. He decided to build the road himself after the council turned down his requests for proper access to his home. He spent between 10 and 15 years building it with the aid of a pick, a shovel, a wheelbarrow and a road-making manual which cost him three shillings. He died in 1988, soon after its completion, and to this day it is known as 'Calum's Road'. see video below which features music by Capercaillie called Calum's Road and displays Calum's Road including the flyig pigs signs. There is a moving book that tells the story called Calum's Road by Roger Hutchinson

http://www.youtube.com/embed/JLRTBs2iC1w?rel=0</a>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

The island is a nature conservancy, and you may see seals, eagles and otters

Phone code: +44 (0)1478

Isle of Raasay Hotels & Accommodation

The main settlement on the island is Inverarish, a 15-min walk from the ferry dock. Half a mile further on is the Raasay Outdoor Centre, housed in the huge Georgian mansion that was Raasay House, which runs many and various adventure courses, from climbing to windsurfing, as well as offering basic accommodation from Mar to mid-Oct, and a campsite, T+44 (0)1478 660266.

Nearby are the Isle of Raasay Hotel, Tel./Fax. 660222, and Churchton House, Trl. 660260, both of which are open all year. Further north along the coast, at Oskaig, B&B is available at Mrs Mackay, Tel. 660207, including dinner. A rough track leads up a steep hill from the tiny village to the island's SYHA Hostel, Tel. 660240, open mid-Mar to end-Oct.

Travel Directions to Isle of Raasay

The CalMac car and passenger ferry runs from Sconser daily Mon-Sat every hour from 0830 till 1800 (2130 in Jul/Aug). Last return is at 1700 (2100 in Jul/Aug). It takes 15 mins (leave the car behind!).

blog comments powered by Disqus