Small town in North Ayrshire, sometimes called the cross of Ayrshire.

Kilwinning lies a few miles inland from Ardrossan on the River Garnock. Its main claim to fame is as the home to Freemasonry in Scotland:  Mother Lodge Kilwinning (No 0) was founded in 1107, at the same time as the Abbey, of which the few remains have been incorporated into the present Parish Church.

In the 20th Century Kilwinning was largely industrial with a large ICI works to the west of the town and its large railway junction leds to it nickname. 

Castles Nearby

Montgreenan Castle

Site of old castle, possibly large one, but little remains except walling. Was belived to have been a Bishops Palace which another name for the castle

Eglinton Castle

 Located one mile SE of Kilwinning in the Eglinton Country Park. Built in 1796 by John Paterson for Hugh Montgomerie, the 12th Earl of Eglinton. Large Gothic mansion, replacing 17th century castle. 

Clonbeith Castle

 Clonbeith Castle located 3 miles NE of Kilwinning, on minor road south of the B778, north of the Lugton Water. The remains of Clonbeith castle are surrounded by the buildings of a working dairy farm. 

Travel Directions to Kilwinning

There is a train station with direct links to Glasgow as well as buses.

blog comments powered by Disqus