Wonderful ruins beside Linlithgow near Edinburgh of a palace that was a principal residence of the kings and queens of Scotland in 15th and 16th centuries. Open daily.
- The birth-place of Mary Queen of Scots.
- The views from Queen Margaret’s Bower – overlooking the peel and loch and the pleasant countryside. On a clear day you can see the bridges over the Forth.
- The peel and loch provide the perfect setting for a picnic. The loch has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest thanks to its wildfowl.
- The oriels – elegant projecting windows off the king’s and queen’s bedchambers.
- The fountain – a beautiful three-tiered structure in the centre of the courtyard.