Fourteen miles southwest of Jedburgh and 12 miles south of Selkirk is Hawick (pronounced 'Hoyk'), the largest town in the Borders and centre of the region's knitwear and hosiery industry for over 200 years. Hawick is not a place noted for its great beauty, but it does attract lots of visitors who come to shop at its many factory outlets where you can buy all the classic brand names in knitwear. A list of knitwear suppliers is available at the TIC .
Drumlanrig’s Tower Visitor Centre: Housed in the well restored Drumlanrig's Tower, built by the Douglas family in the 16th century, it has an impressive collection of exhibits showing the history of Hawick and the Tower through the ages. The special exhibition in memory of the late motorcycle legend and British Superbike Champion Steve Hislop, will be of special interest for mobike racers. Tel: 44 (0) 1450 377615; Opening hours: Easter-Sep: 10am-5pm Mon-Sat, 12pm-3pm Sun; Oct: 10am-5pm Mon-Sat, closed Sun; Nov-Easter: closed
Admission:£2.50 adults, £1.50 concessions, free of charge accompanied children under 16 and Scottish Borders residents
Cragbank Woods : The last remains of the largest area of ancient ash-elm-hazel woodland in the Scottish Borders, CragBank woods is of great ecological importance as well. Extending along the steep slopes of Wolfehopelee Hill , this narrow woodland is well acclaimed for its diverse flora and fauna and is a best spot for spotting butterflies. However reaching the woodlands can be a bit tricky as there is no car park or well defined path ways.
Getting and out of Hawick
There are hourly buses to and from Jedburgh (35 mins) and Galashiels (40 mins), and regular daily buses to and from Selkirk (20 mins), Edinburgh (2 hrs) and Carlisle (1 hr 15 mins). There's also a service to Melrose (40 mins), but it may be quicker to go to Galashiels and change there.
The Tourist Information Centre is in Drumlanrig Tower on the High St, Tel 372547. Easter-May and Oct Mon-Sat 1000-1700, Sun 1200-1700; Jun and Sep Mon-Sat 1000-1730, Sun 1200-1730; Jul and Aug Mon-Sat 1000-1800, Sun 1200-1800. Hours may vary.
In the same building as the TIC is a museum, which outlines the tower's role in Anglo-Scottish wars from the 16th century. Info: Same opening hours as the tourist office. £2.50, £1.50 concession. In Wilton Lodge Park is the Hawick Museum and Scott Art Gallery, which has an interesting collection of mostly 19th-century textile exhibits. Info: Oct-Mar Mon-Fri 1300-1600, Sat closed, Sun 1400-1600; Apr-Sep Mon-Fri 1000-1200 and 1300-1645, Sat, Sun 1400-1645. Free. Tel 373457.
The Hawick Common Riding Festival held on the last Friday of July every year dates back to 1514. It is held to commemorate a group of local youths who captured the ‘Hexham Pennant Banner’ from English Troops camped nearby.
Hawick Hotels & Accommodation
SLEEPING AND EATING: ACCOMMODATION IN HAWICK
A mile from town, on the A698 to Kelso, is the Mansfield House Hotel, Tel 373988, Mansfield House A traditional mansion house hotel offering good food (lunch cheap; dinner mid-range).
Also good is Kirklands Hotel, West Stewart Pl, Tel 372263.
There are plenty of cheaper B&B alternatives, including Oakwood House, Buccleuch Rd, Tel 372814. Eating options are pretty much confined to the hotel bars and restaurants.
South east of Hawick in the village of Bonchester Bridge is a great wee 17th century old coach house inn, the Horse and Hound Country Inn - Tel 01450 860645. With 9 rooms, they are biker friendly, dog friendly and live music is played every weekend, folk, jazz or R&B.