Clan seat for the Ogilvy family
Cortachy Castle is a castellated mansion house at Cortachy near Kirriemuir in Angus. (Four miles north of Kirriemuir).
The present building dates from the 15th century. It was preceded by an earlier structure that was owned by the Earls of Strathearn. It was acquired by the Ogilvies in 1473 and substantively modified in the 17th and 19th centuries. Part of the castle was damaged by fire in 1883 and Cortachy was extensively rebuilt in the following two years.
Cortachy Castle is now a Category B listed building.
It is alleged that the castle is haunted by the spirit of a drummer for whom various explanations exist.