Scottish baronial castle that thinks it is a chateau on the Loire. One of a kind in Scotland and the ancestral home to the Dukes of Sutherland and family.
There was some sort of fortification here from the 13th century but the present structure was the cofection of Sir Charles Barry who also built the house of Parliament in London in 1845. There was some fire damage and a remodelling conducted in 1915. The house has been many things including a boys school but is now home to the Countess of Sutherland.
The garden was laid out by Sir Charles Barry in 1850, who also incidentally designed the Houses of Parliament in London. To match the castle, the garden also has a strong French influence, with circular pools and fountains surrounded by two formal beds - quite an unexpected sight in Northern Scotland.
The garden holds to its original vision but has been enhanced by a number of recent features like the reintroduction of an old-fashioned method of tree culture and a vegetable garden and orchard of a French style.