16th century tower house that is home to Agnew clan and after restoration is now again a private residence. near Stranraer.
Lochnaw Castle is a 16th Century tower house five miles from the town of Stranraer, Dumfries and Galloway.
Lochnaw Castle shows four periods of construction - a simple 16th century keep, 17th and 18th century domestic dwellings, and a mansion-house, which was later demolished. There is a plaque bearing the date 1486, on the SE wall of the keep. A chapel, built in 1704, was demolished c. 1953.
An earlier, ruined castle stands on an island in the nearby Lochnaw Loch. A royal castle, this was given to the Agnews in 1363, but was sacked by Archiblad The Grim, 3rd Earl of Douglas in 1390, and subsequently dismantled.
The Agnews held the new castle til the end of the 19th century. The castle, located by the loch, is occupied as a private residence.