Visitor guide to Fort George in Ardersier in the Scottish Highlands. Includes descriptions, directions and timings to make a visit.
Fort George is an magnificent example of a massive Georgian artillery fort. It was built after the Jacobite rising of 1745-6 to designs of Lieut-General William Skinner, but was not completed until 1769, by which time it was redundant. Many of the internal buildings were designed by William and John Adam. It extends over 16 acres and could accommodate nearly 2000 men; and is still used as a barracks. There is a reconstruction of barrack rooms in different periods, and a display of muskets and pikes. The Regimental Museum of the Queen's Own Highlanders (see website) features uniforms, medals and pictures.