Once simply called Bonar until the bridge was built. After the Dornoch Firth bridge was built, Bonar returned to being a sleepy town again.
After the Dornoch Ferry disaster of 1809, a bridge was built over the Kyle at Bonar Bridge, from where the A949 runs eastwards to join the main A9 just before Dornoch, while the A836 continues north to Lairg (see below).
A few miles north of Invershin are the Falls of Shin, an excellent place to watch salmon battling upstream on their way to their spawning grounds (best seen June to September). A visitor centre and café/restaurant/shop has information about six easy walks in the immediate area; all are under an hour long. The café/restaurant serves good, cheap food daily till 1730. A shop described as 'Harrods of the north' that explains the goods on offer.