Visitor's guide to St Monans, a village in the East Neuk (corner) of Fife that is named after Saint Monan. Situated west of Anstruther, this village, is now a thriving tourist destination.
Further along the coast, St Monans was once one of Scotland's busiest fishing ports, a fact that is emphasized by the presence of Miller's boatyard by the harbour. This is one of the oldest surviving boat-builders, established in 1747 and still producing traditional fishing boats. Other reminders of the town's sea-faring past remain. The tiny fishermen's church stands so close to the sea that during winter storms the spray rises over the churchyard wall to wash the gravestones in the cemetery. The present foundations of the church date from 1362, but the original church dates from a century earlier.