16 century tower that was bequested by Robert Bruce to illegitimate son, Neil and occupied by Neilsons and then Dalrymple of Stair. Now occupied again. Can be viewed in exterior.
Craigcaffie, or Kellechaffe, as it was anciently called, was granted by Robert the Bruce to John, son of Neil, Earl of Carrick, and from him the Neilsons, who built the castle, claimed their descent. The initials and arms of John Neilson and his wife, Margaret Strang (now indistinguishable) resided in the square panel to the N elevation (D MacGibbon and T Ross, p390). Also now indistinguishable are the inscribed skewputts to the N; one bearing the date 1-5-7 (indicating 1570 as the decade for the building's erection), the other repeating the initials IN, MS, with the skewputts to the S bearing heraldic roses (RCAHMS INVENTORY, p18). Previously surrounded by a fosse, the tower's ground floor windows and attic dormers are later insertions, when it was changed from a disused tower to a dwelling house in the 1980s.