Tower house near Kilmartin in Argyll. Now ruined but with interesting renaissance details remaining and excellent position. Open in summer. Unmanned.
Castles in Argyll
Steeped in history Scotland is famous for one of the most expansive selections of castles in the world with well over 2,000. Most of the castles are well preserved, while some are in ruins. Argyll too has a fair share of castles to its credit , which includes Inveraray Castle,Dumbarton Castle,Brodick Castle and Eilean Donan among many others.
Browse our list of castles to know more on these amazing land marks of Argyll, which have made it a huge tourist attraction.
The castle is no longer visible except perhaps in outline and has a house on the site. The island itself is now a peninsula.
Duart Castle (Caisteal Dhubhairt in Scottish Gaelic) is a castle on the Isle of Mull with stunning views across the sound towards Oban. The castle dates back to the 13th century and is the seat of Clan MacLean. The interior is well preserved and is open to the public.
Fire damaged castle that is being restored and is surrounded by wonderful gardens and landscape on Cowal Peninsula
The oldest continuously occupied castle in Scotland. Now occupied by the chieftain of Clan Malcolm
Early 19th century castle with striking indoor stone staircase and early indoor thunderbolt privy. Now used as self catering.
Somewhat ruined 16th century Z-plan tower house just to the north of the village of Kilmartin. Probably built by Neil Campbell, Rector of Kilmartin 1574-1627 and later Bishop of Argyll and then was later owned by the Campbells before falling into ruin.
15th century tower house in a splendid position on Loch Goil. Privately owned and undergoing restoration..
Privately owned castle set in splendid isolation in the middle of a loch. Truly a fairytale castle. You expect a damsel in distress to appear at a window.
Ruinous castle on a sea stack with surrounding wall. Central keep on outcrop of rock. Can be visited at any reasonable time.
three miles north of Oban, standing on its own peninsula into the Firth of Lorn with a massive curtein wall. Ancient Campbell and MacDougall castle now in care oif Historic Scotland. Open to Public
Home to Clan Campbell's chief and a substantial baronial pile built in 1743 on the site of previous castle. Open to visitors and includes lovely gardens.
One of the most photographed castles in Scotland and in a strong position on the loch. A stronghold for the Campbells of Glenorchy. Used between 1475 to 1745
Ruined house built in Victorian era that must have been fabulous judging by old photographs...