Immensely impressive late 13th century castle that is well worth a visit if you are near Dufftown.
A fine 13th century castle of enclosure with a curtain wall, first owned by the Comyns. It passed to the Douglas family after the destruction of the Comyns by Bruce. Later, after the Douglas family itself was destroyed in 1455 after rebelling against the king (more details here). It then passed to the Stewart family, later Earl of Atholl. In the late 17th century it was replced by New Balvenie House (now hidden by the distillery) and slowly the castle fell into ruin.
Balvenie was added to in the 15th and 16th centuries. It was visited by Mary Queen of Scots in 1562 who stayed in the renaissance house that had been built in one corner of the castle.
Balvenie Castle was used as a garrison during the Jacobite rebellion but was abandoned following Culloden, as Duff had erected a classical Balvenie House nearby in 1724. The Duke of Fife placed the castle in state care in 1929.